This is the Archived Blog of Tina Hunter. For new posts go to www.TinaHunter.ca

Friday, June 22, 2007

A Writing Centre?

I've been distracted the last couple of days, haven't written anything since Tuesday.

The reason is because someone came up with the great idea to start an Edmonton Writing Centre. I was pumped when I heard. It was going to be at the downtown public library, which I thought was convenient since I go there anyway, but also a little odd. What kind of area would they have? Still, I was excited.

So when I go there on Tuesday, after typing up a whole bunch of words on a computer upstairs, I went down stairs and ask for directions to "the writing centre". The librarian replied, "It's very informal." and pointed me towards the back corner of the library. There in the corner was 4 tables and 7 chairs, no signs, no writer specific anything, and anyone could use it.

I was so disappointed, I almost turned around and walked back upstairs to the table and chairs I'd been using for the last month. If it wasn't for my writing friend urging me to stay, I would have left.

So the last couple of days, I have been playing with how a REAL writing centre could be set up. I have numbers, incorporation information, and survey questions. Not to mention all the contacts I came up with, just by asking them if they would interested in helping out a hypothetical business.

But see now I'm in a pickle. I'm very interested in this venture. I can see how much interest there is out there for a centre like this, and I've done a bunch of leg work to know it financially possible to do..... but there is another guy out there who has already started to put this together (mind you its not very good at the moment). I've tried to get in touch with him, but we haven't spoken yet.... I'm not really sure what to say to him when I get a chance to.

"Hi, I think the Writing Centre, the way it is right now, is junk. So I've come up with a better way to put it together." Yeah that'll go over well. What happens if he already has a plan? What if he's just being really, really slow about putting it together? Maybe I should just drop the whole thing and not get involved.

(sigh) Things are never just easy with me, are they? I finally get my writing going great and I go and get distracted by wanting to help start up a business... I'll keep you posted.

C

No comments: