This is the Archived Blog of Tina Hunter. For new posts go to www.TinaHunter.ca

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Emotionally Involved

So much for my roll.

I knew something was wrong with it… I just couldn't figure out what.

All throughout chapter 7 I was thinking that something was wrong with it… I couldn’t put my finger on it though.

Then I went to my writing group meeting. They didn't find it either but what they did find pointed it out to me. I'm not emotionally connected to one of my characters, "S". I intentionally didn't let myself get close to her because I knew that I would have to kill her off eventually.

How do you let yourself get attached to someone, even if you know that you have to be cruel in the method of their death?

My reader doesn’t fall in love with "S" the way I hoped they would. I need them to love her… it's very important to the story. But the reader can't love her if I don't. Every reader who has read this chapter doesn’t really think twice about her. She's whatever. Blah. Annoying. Not noticable.

In fact, people who read this chapter, like a very minor character who shows up for less than 3 pages, more than they like her. "S" is a main character.

I've been protecting myself from getting hurt when I kill her. I don't want to be upset, but I have to be if I want my reader to be as well.

This is so annoying, but I know I have to figure it out. I may have to go through and give her a personality overhaul.

(Sigh) The joys of writing!

Dust

No comments: