This is the Archived Blog of Tina Hunter. For new posts go to www.TinaHunter.ca

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Using a Journal

So it took me a while, but I think I'm out of my slump.

I'm not saying that I have no more doubts about my novel, cause I do, but I can write again. Sort of.

I'm been asking people for advise. My writing group friend/ mentor. My tutor with my course. Even my boyfriend has been subjected to my questioning about "What do I do?"

One of the pieces of advise that I got was about using a journal. I did't know if it would help but I figured it was worth a shot. I found an old scribbler, ripped out the 2 pages that had been used and started fresh. I wrote about 750 words, just about how I was feeling, why I was writing in a journal again, that kind of thing. (I say again because in high school I kept a journal, but when I came home from traveling I hated how stupid I had been back then so I torn it up and burnt it. It was actually very therapeutic.)

(You can see the article that I read here: Use your Journal Article)

It seemed to work. After I finished in my journal, I wrote 1203 words on my short story, one whole section. I only have two more left until the break point (the point were my story goes from part 1 to part 2). I still have the tiny little problem of not knowing what happens in part 2, or how this whole thing ends, but that is not my task for today. Today was just my, "get back into writing day". And it was.

Before I started writing in the journal today, I thought I didn't really need one. I have a blog, isn't that what a blog is for? To let loose the ideas floating in your head? But it's kind of nice to have a place to write down some of my more crazy ideas, my fears and doubts, and not have to worry about everyone in the world (or at least those with Internet access) reading them.

I'm going to try the journal thing. I'll let you know how it turns out, but it can't be all bad if it helped me get through 1203 words in my short story. (about 2 pages single spaced)

Cheers,

Dust

1 comment:

Capt'n said...

Understood! As more and more of my friends read my blog; I want to writ in it less and less.

Its one thing for complete strangers to hear your complaints and stories - they can't impact your life. But friends! I might care what they think.

*smile*