This is the Archived Blog of Tina Hunter. For new posts go to www.TinaHunter.ca

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What's new crazy lady?

So you're probably wondering what's new? New year, new approach?

Did I come up with a great idea to add even more suspense to my already magnificent novel?…. (yeah I'm a little low on the self-esteem today, gimme a break)

In truth, I've done a lot of planning. I re-organized the last half of my novel to reflect the personalities that have grown while I was actually writing. It's funny, when you plan out your novel you think your characters will do certain things at certain points and that’s the end of it… but after you've written about them for a while, and their personalities are more etched in your mind, you realize that they wouldn't do A or B, they would do C. And that just messes things up for a while.

Anyone who writes is reading this going, "Yeah that’s a nice way of putting it, but where's the crazy?." Ok, I'll be honest. My characters revolted. They didn't want to do what I was telling them to do, and I've just recently finished my negotiations with them. They won on most points, and as a result I've had to change where I wanted them to go.... "There's the crazy!"

Besides the craziness of your characters coming to life, it helps a lot if you follow their lead. In the end you have a better story, one people can connect to. It's ok that I had to change the scene where they are: 'sneaking into the palace, stealing stuff to help them get away and are seen' into, 'sneaking past the palace to get away, trying not to be seen but are'. The end result is the same, they are seen and thus starts the chase portion of my story. (stupid picky characters)

Once I finish tightening my plot, I can get into writing it again. (please let that be soon)

I've also been working on the novel writing course I start last year. I stopped when I got into my story more, but since the negotiations, I've need a little break.

Well that is pretty much all I've got that's new. I'll keep you posted once I get back into the writing of the story.

Dust

No comments: